While this may be a shocking statement to some, the facts bear out what professional marketers already know. When it comes to Millennials, the most digitally advanced generation to emerge to-date, traditional snail mail works… period. Take a minute. Catch your breath. Finish all of your “this guy is crazy” mutterings and allow me to support my statements with facts.
Technology can be rather impersonal. Millennials have immersed themselves in technology their entire life. As they become more exposed to traditional direct mail, they tend to appreciate the personalization and the sentiment of the hand-held card or letter that arrived in their mailbox.
According to Lending Science, compared with previous generations, Millennials are:
- 71% MORE likely to scan the mail compared to 66% of non-millennials
- 54% LESS likely to discard mail without reading it compared to 59% of non-millennials
- 45% MORE likely to organize and sort the mail compared to 40% of non-millennials
- 36% MORE likely to take time to read the mail compared to 35% of non-millennials
- 24% MORE likely to show mail to others compared to 19% of non-millennials
A few other studies also claim that Millennials prefer receiving direct mail. Moreover, these studies also pointed out that the response rates are higher for direct mailings, and it is more likely to compel action. Let’s look at some statistics from the USPS Mail Moments materials.
- Some marketers believe that the digitally engaged are suffering from digital fatigue. Nearly half of Millennials ignore digital ads, whereas only 15% say they ignore direct mail.
- Millennials’ recall was 70% higher when exposed to direct mail rather than a digital ad.
- 77% of Millennials pay attention to direct mail advertising.
- 90% of Millennials think direct mail advertising is reliable.
- 57% of Millennials have made purchases based on direct mail offers.
- 87% of Millennials like receiving direct mail.
The next time you need to reach Millennials, don’t overlook the tried and true, proven method of communication… direct mail. You can also seamlessly track the success of your direct mail campaign and enhance results using complementary digital channels of communication. The combination produces excellent results and memorable ROI.
For more information on direct mail and targeted marketing, go to https://thinkpatented.com/does/mailing. Today’s direct mail solutions may be your answer to increased sales to Millennials. Ask our experts and see for yourself.