Would you like your direct mail to have a look that stands out, gets results, and saves on postage in 2023? If so, Think Patented and the US Postal Service’s Tactile, Sensory and Interactive Promotion have the perfect solution for you. This promotion runs from February 1, 2023, through July 31, 2023, and features three categories, specialty inks, sensory treatments, and interactive elements. Adding a haptic effect to your direct mail piece will help you stand out from the competition and save money at the same time.
The goal of this promotion is to encourage interaction and engagement with physical mail pieces. This is a great USPS promotion because direct mail is the only marketing channel that provides a tactile customer experience. AND 73% of customers prefer direct mail over other marketing channels! New developments in papers/stocks, substrates, finishing techniques, and inks are great options to incorporate a multi-sensory experience through special visual effects, sound, scent, and texture into your mail pieces. Features like pop-ups, infinite folds, and other dimensional treatments encourage interaction and drive customer engagement, increasing your ROI.
There are 3 featured categories in this promotion:
- Specialty inks– Catch your customer’s eye with unexpected sheen’s special effects or reactive colors. Qualifying inks may include but are not limited to:
- Leuco Dyes/Thermochromics: Heat sensitive dyes or inks change color with changes in temperature.
- Photochromic: Changes color with UV light exposure.
- Optically Variable Ink: Changes color depending on the angle of the light.
- Metallic Ink: a specialty ink that has reflective metal particles such as copper, bronze, zinc, or aluminum in it. When the ink dries, the particles reflect the light and create a shine. Printing metallic inks on a coated sheet, especially a gloss coated sheet, will get the maximum reflective effect.
- Sensory Treatments– There are three basic categories: Scent, Sound, and Taste; Visual; and Textural. Use unique treatments or paper substrates that relate to or enhance your message like:
- Paper: Made of unique materials or has surface treatments like soft touch, leather, or glitter.
- Print and finishing: Add a tactile soft-touch coating, raised UV, digital dimensional coating, emboss or deboss, or a gritty-sandpaper finish.
- Scent: Add scented varnishes to create unique aromas that complement the image or content.
- Sound: Incorporate sound chips or videos.
- Interactive Elements: Engage recipients through dynamic folds, complex folds, or other dimensional enhancements like pop-ups. The mail piece must include elements that the recipient can physically manipulate (i.e., twist, spin, dial, pull, bend, etc.). Here are just a few ideas:
- Infinite Folds– These folds provide a message at each turn, with multiple ways to fold and unfold the card, this leads to increased use and engagement.
- 3-Dimensional– Dimensional mail shapes include tubes, boxes, spheres, and other unique formats. This type of mail has much higher response rates because it ignites your customers’ curiosity.
- Pop-ups– Pop-ups and three-dimensional formats grab attention and help engage the audience with your message.
There are many papers and coatings to choose from that can provide an enhanced experience and are the most cost-effective options to qualify for the discount. Note that all mail pieces must be submitted via USPS mail to the TSI Promotion Office for review and approval no later than one week before the mailing date. With Think Patented’s unique printing capabilities and knowledgeable staff, we can recommend options to help qualify for the discount. Get the requirements here.
If you are ready to get started and save 5% on your postage, contact your Think Patented account executive, call 937.353.2299, or submit your information to the form below.