Direct mail has been around for decades and has been used by businesses of all sizes as a marketing strategy. Despite the rise of digital marketing, direct mail remains an effective way to reach customers and generate sales. Even Amazon and Wayfair, two of the world’s largest online retailers, use direct mail to promote their products and services.
Direct mail has a higher response rate compared to other marketing channels. According to a study by the Direct Marketing Association, the response rate for direct mail is 5.1%, compared to 0.6% for email and 0.6% for paid search. This means that direct mail is more likely to generate a response from customers and lead to a sale, likely because direct mail is more tangible than other forms of marketing, and customers are more likely to engage with a physical piece of mail than an email or online ad.
Tactile, Sensory & Interactive direct mailers are mail pieces that incorporate various physical elements to create a unique and engaging experience for the recipient. These elements can include textured paper, embossing, 3D printing, pop-ups, and other interactive features. Research has shown that these types of mailers have a higher response rate than traditional direct mail, with 78% of people saying they would be more likely to respond to a mail piece that has interesting textures and materials. This type of direct mail is especially effective for luxury brands or high-end products, as it creates a sense of exclusivity and premium quality. Amazon has recognized the effectiveness of high-impact mailers and employs them as a strategy, using textured catalog covers and even sending product samples. The goal of these mailers is to create a memorable experience that engages multiple senses and leaves a lasting impression on the recipient.
Right now, the USPS is offering a special promotion for Tactile, Sensory & Interactive direct mailers from Feb 1, 2023, through July 31, 2023, offering businesses a 5% discount on qualifying mail pieces—a strong indication of the growing popularity and effectiveness of these types of mailers!
5 ideas to make your Direct Mail standout:
1. Pop-up mailers: Pop-up mailers create a sense of excitement and surprise for the recipient. The use of a pop-up element can capture the recipient’s attention and generate interest in the product or service being offered.
2. Reveal mailers: Reveal mailers with pull tabs are another way to create a tactile experience for the recipient. Simply glue together a 2-panel card, leaving the areas that will peel up unglued, and perforate the reveal area. Provide a call to action to LIFT or OPEN, and you have added intrigue and interaction to your mailer. A few great ideas for this type of mailer:
- Before/after or problem/solution messages
- Highlight new features or benefits
- Revealing new products or services
- Ask a question and provide an answer
3. Personalized mailers: Personalized mailers are designed to create a sense of connection and engagement with the recipient. By using personal information such as the recipient’s name or past purchase history, businesses can create a mailer that feels tailored specifically to the recipient.
4. Interactive mailers: Interactive mailers are designed to encourage the recipient to engage with the mailer in some way. This could include a QR code, a puzzle, an intricate fold, or other interactive elements that encourage the recipient to spend time with the mailer.
5. Unique packaging: Unique packaging is another way to create a high-impact mailer. By using unusual materials, shapes, or designs, businesses can create a mailer that stands out from other mail the recipient receives. This can create a memorable impression in the mind of the recipient and increase the likelihood that they will take action in response to the mailer.
There are several reasons why direct mail is such an effective marketing strategy. First, it allows businesses to target specific audiences. With direct mail, businesses can send their marketing messages to people who are most likely to be interested in their products or services. This is done by using mailing lists that are carefully selected based on demographics, purchasing habits, and other criteria. This targeted approach ensures that the marketing message reaches the right people at the right time, increasing the chances of generating sales.
Another advantage of direct mail is that it is highly measurable. Unlike other marketing strategies such as television or radio advertising, businesses can easily track their direct mail campaigns’ success. By including unique promo codes or custom URLs in their mail pieces, businesses can track how many people respond to their marketing message and how much revenue is generated as a result. This allows businesses to refine their marketing strategies and improve their ROI over time.
How to build a better Direct Mail strategy:
1. Develop a targeted mailing list based on demographics, purchasing history, and other relevant criteria.
2. Use eye-catching visuals and high-quality design to capture the recipient’s attention.
3. Personalize the mailer with the recipient’s name and other relevant information to increase engagement.
4. Include a clear call-to-action that encourages the recipient to respond, such as scanning a QR code.
5. Use a clear and concise message that highlights the benefits of your product or service.
6. Offer a promotion, discount, or a detachable coupon to incentivize the recipient to take action.
7. Use variable data printing to customize each mailer with specific offers or messages tailored to the recipient.
8. Use a memorable and unique format, such as a pop-up or 3D mailer, to increase engagement and create a lasting impression.
9. Follow up with recipients who do not respond to the initial mailer with a second or third mailer, using different messaging or offers to increase response rates.
10. Use tracking and analytics to measure the effectiveness of the mailer and make improvements for future campaigns.
Even Amazon has recognized the effectiveness of direct mail and uses it to promote its products and services. For example, Amazon sends out catalogs to its customers featuring its latest products and promotions. These catalogs are highly targeted, with Amazon using data from its customers’ previous purchases and browsing history to determine what products they are most likely to be interested in. Amazon also leverages Every Door Direct Mail from USPS for their recruitment efforts, an option that delivers their message to every door in a designated geographical area.
According to a study by the Data & Marketing Association, 42% of direct mail recipients either read or scan the mail pieces they receive. In addition, a study by the USPS found that direct mail generates a higher response rate than digital marketing channels, with 81% of households reading or scanning their mail daily. By using direct mail, Amazon can reach a large audience and reach recipients who may not have engaged with their digital marketing efforts. In addition, direct mail allows Amazon to showcase its products and promotions in a way that is more visually appealing—and longer lasting—than digital ads.
Direct mail remains an effective marketing strategy due to its ability to target specific audiences, its measurability, and its high response rate. Even Amazon, the direct marketing giant, has recognized the effectiveness of direct mail and uses it to promote its products and services! As businesses continue to look for effective ways to reach their customers, you can bet that direct mail will continue to deliver.
Direct mail can help your business seal the deal! Our marketing experts can show you examples of highly successful, high-impact direct mailers. Contact us at (937)353-2299 or send us a message.